Why Should Kids Get into Golf Today!
Sports & Athletics | March 1, 2018
By Matt Burry, Winagamie Golf Course PGA ProfessionalThere are many things that you can get your kids involved in. There are even more things you can buy them in the hope that it helps them learn and grow. But, will it make an impact?
Golf is an excellent choice for kid of all ages. It is something that can help to positively develop lifelong skills for your children, while offering an enjoyable and relatively safe experience.
Here are a few reasons why:
- There is minimal risk of injury. Unlike many of the other popular sports, the chances of injury, especially serious injury, are low. Golf is a noncontact sport and serious injuries are almost nonexistent.
- Anyone can play golf. Golfers come in all shapes and sizes. You don’t have to be tall, strong or fast to excel in golf. Golf champions come in every shape and size! Also, it’s never too early to start, and unlike most other sports, golf can be enjoyed for a lifetime!
- Lifelong friendships can be made from golf. You never know who you will meet on the golf course, but it can be one of the easiest places to meet new people and become friends. Golf creates a unique bond so friendships can be developed all over the city, state and world and can last a lifetime.
- In today’s world of video games, smart phones and child obesity, it can be difficult to get your kids outside to do something physical. Golf is the perfect activity to get them out of the house and the perfect excuse to spend the entire day enjoying nature. It offers an opportunity to develop lifelong healthy exercise habits.
- Quality time with the family. Golf is a game that encourages family participation. When children are young, they enjoy doing almost anything with you. By the time they become teenagers, they will probably have a few years that they want to spend most of their time with friends. During that time, golf is a unique bonding opportunity. As they outgrow their teens, and become an adult, they will enjoy the bonding time even more.
- The most important reason to get kids involved with golf, it’s FUN. They will learn new skills, both physical and mental, make new friends and discover new opportunities.
- Important life lessons are learned on the golf course. Golf closely parallels real life. You can experience the highs and lows of the game from pars, birdies and bogeys, which rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective. Golf will teach how to manages one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand.
- Golf is a sport that will teach your child integrity, discipline and respect. As kids learn to conduct themselves on the golf course, these lessons will translate directly into everyday life.
This summer, plan to take the opportunity to spend some time exploring golf with your child. Whether you enroll your child in a junior class or program, you are familiar on the course, or are learning the game of golf together, it will be lessons that will last a lifetime.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Matt Burry: Winagamie Golf Course PGA Professional; Elected to PGA class “A” membership in 1996; Served 21 years as Head PGA Professional at private and public facilities.